- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
|My Pet Ate It, Now What?|
Prompt veterinary care can help reduce the risk for serious illness or lessen the chances for complications from injury associated with holiday hazards.
A veterinarian can perform testing to determine whether a pet has suffered serious damage from chewing on or swallowing ornaments, eating fatty or potentially poisonous food, or playing with seasonal decorations. Your veterinarian can prescribe medications to soothe a belly ache or counteract poison, perform x-rays and surgery to overcome intestinal obstructions, and repair lacerations.
If your pet encounters one of these holiday hazards, contact your veterinarian immediately.
The holidays are fun, even for pets, but the season brings added danger for animal companions. Learn to recognize and manage holiday hazards to keep your pet safe during the festivities.
Tinsel is attractive, especially to cats. Tinsel is not toxic but consuming tinsel can cause serious harm to your pet’s digestive system. The long, tough strands can actually cut through the intestine and cause peritonitis.
Pets love to play with bright, colorful ornaments, but may end up breaking or even chewing and swallowing these fragile decorations. Sharp, broken pieces can lacerate the animal’s mouth, throat, and digestive tract. Larger pieces can cause an obstruction and emergency surgery may be needed.
Cats love to climb trees, especially when the tree is indoors and loaded with ornaments and other decorations that look a lot like cat toys. A climbing cat can pull a fully decorated Christmas tree crashing to the ground, potentially injuring the animal. Tree water may contain dangerous fertilizers and stagnant tree water may contain unhealthy bacteria.
Consuming holly may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Eating mistletoe can result in stomach upset and even heart problems. A cat may suffer kidney failure after ingesting some types of lilies.
A dog or cat that eats chocolate may experience vomiting and diarrhea, panting, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and, in severe cases, even death. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic compounds it contains.
Dogs and cats love turkey but this holiday fare may be dangerous to their health. The immediate pet hazard associated with turkey are the tiny bones that, if swallowed, may cause painful constipation or even splinter to perforate the stomach; both conditions require immediate veterinary attention. Feeding rich and fatty food like that served at holiday parties can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even inflammation of the pancreas. Raw or undercooked turkey can contain Salmonella, E. coli, or Campylobacter bacteria that can lead to food poisoning.
The herb sage contains essential oils and resins that add flavor to turkey and other holiday foods but this herb can cause an upset stomach and even nervous system problems in pets – especially cats.
Consuming raw bread dough is dangerous for pets, as heat from the animal’s body causes the dough to rise inside its stomach. The pet may experience vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating.
Any pet encountering these holiday hazards may need immediate veterinary care for a complete examination, blood tests, x-rays, medications, and even surgery. Make this holiday season merry for everyone, including your pets, by keeping pets safe from these potential holiday hazards.
ASPCA, “Holiday Safety Tips.” 2014.
Pet Poison HelpLine, “Winter Holiday Pet Poison Tips.” 2014
We have been clients of Los Robles Animal Hospital since 1986 and have always received excellent service and pet care.
Best vet clinic in town!!
We love Los Robles!
There are no words to truly express how wonderful Los Robles is. The staff there has taken such good care of our dog over the years, and there is no one I trust more when it comes to her health and well being. Without their genuine care for her, she would not be the relatively healthy dog she is today. It is this attention to detail and genuine care for our pets well being that makes them like family to us. We are forever grateful for the people at Los Robles and all the things they have done for us and continue to do.
LRAH always exceeds my expectations. I LOVE this place - you have a customer for life
We very much appreciate the kind, professional and respectful care our cat receives at LRAH! The clinic always looks wonderful and the staff are great. Our pet feels very at ease and well cared for by Dr. Donofro during her visits! :-)
Its hard to comment on perfection. It has always been a pleasure working with the Los Robles Team no matter what the situation and the landscaping and facility look great
I am very happy I found your practice!
Thank you for the high level of care you provide our little family member.