- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Smorgasbord of Cat Litter
Cats' preferences for the type of litter vary greatly from cat to cat. Some are not picky and will use anything you put in the box. Some are so particular they won't use the box at all if it is the wrong litter. Depth of the litter is also a factor in pleasing your cat.
To determine what your cat likes best, you can perform the smorgasbord test. Get several litter boxes, at least six to eight boxes, and put them side to side. Add a different type and depth of litter to each box. For example, put a clumping litter in one box at a depth of one inch, and in the next litter box at a depth of three inches. Put a plain clay litter in another set of boxes, one at one inch and one at three inches. Choose another one to three types of litter and repeat.
One of the most common complaints that cat owners make is that a cat will not use its litter box properly. Usually it is a problem with the cat urinating outside the box, but occasionally a cat will be defecating outside the box, or a cat may not want to use his litter box at all!
First the cat should be examined by a veterinarian to check for a medical problem, such as a urinary tract infection. Sometimes there are behavior problems, especially in multiple cat households, that can lead to the frustrating scenario of cleaning pee and poop off your carpet! But, there are things that cat owners may do unwittingly that lead to or exacerbate this problem. You don't want to give them a reason not to use the box!
Things you can do to help ensure your cat uses the litter box:
1. Have one more litter box than you have cats. If you have one cat, you should have two litter boxes. If you have three cats, you should have four litter boxes.
2. Do not locate all the litter boxes in one area. Put them in different rooms. One cat may dominate one room and not allow the other cats to use the boxes.
3. Don't put food and water bowls close to the litter boxes. Do you want to eat next to your toilet? Cats are very sensitive to smells.
4. Don't locate the litter boxes next to the washer and dryer where the "boogeyman" may live, or any other areas where loud sounds may emanate. Hearing a scary noise once may make them reluctant to use that area for months.
5. Do not use liners under the litter. Many cats do not like them.
6. Do not use covers over the box. It keeps odors in, just like a portable toilet (PortaPotty). Think what that smells like; you wouldn't want to use it either!
7. Use a litter without deodorizers or scents. Again, cats are sensitive to odors and don't like scented litter. The majority of cats like a clumping litter, but this is a very individual preference.
8. Clean the litter boxes by scooping them at least once, preferably twice, daily. At least once weekly dump the litter, clean the boxes, and refill with new litter. Do not clean the boxes using any cleanser with a strong odor. Cleaning with just hot water and a mild soap is fine.
If your kitty still doesn't want to use his litter box, talk to your veterinarian about behavior modification, and even behavior drugs, that can be used.
We have been clients of Los Robles Animal Hospital since 1986 and have always received excellent service and pet care.
Best vet clinic in town!!
We love Los Robles!
There are no words to truly express how wonderful Los Robles is. The staff there has taken such good care of our dog over the years, and there is no one I trust more when it comes to her health and well being. Without their genuine care for her, she would not be the relatively healthy dog she is today. It is this attention to detail and genuine care for our pets well being that makes them like family to us. We are forever grateful for the people at Los Robles and all the things they have done for us and continue to do.
LRAH always exceeds my expectations. I LOVE this place - you have a customer for life
We very much appreciate the kind, professional and respectful care our cat receives at LRAH! The clinic always looks wonderful and the staff are great. Our pet feels very at ease and well cared for by Dr. Donofro during her visits! :-)
Its hard to comment on perfection. It has always been a pleasure working with the Los Robles Team no matter what the situation and the landscaping and facility look great
I am very happy I found your practice!
Thank you for the high level of care you provide our little family member.